Friday, March 19, 2010

St. Joseph, Pray for Us!

I attended Mass first thing this morning for the Solemnity of St. Joseph.  He's interceded for me on so many occasions I can't list them.  Giving honor to him at Mass today on his feast day reminded me of how much I rely on the prayers of the Saints, as if I am the paralytic being lowered through the roof to the feet of Jesus.  It's the faith of His Church Triumphant that He sees, and He forgives me, heals me, and gives me whatever I need to carry on.

I love being Catholic.


 * * * * * * *

Our Lady Comforter of the Afflicted Shrine is right around the corner from my house and workplace (I am really fortunate to work only 1.2 miles from home). After Mass this morning, I spent some time on their grounds, where one of the most intense depictions of the Stations of the Cross I've ever seen resides. It's called The Iron Curtain Stations of the Cross, depicting elements of the most horrifying forms of human suffering, and bringing them into the heart of Jesus' suffering.  This Stations gives me a much deeper understanding of His great love for each and every one of us. Over the next 14 days, I'll be sharing my own photographs of the marble sculptures, along with meditations I write myself in response to the images.  Please join me in prayer beginning this evening. 


NOTE:  I decided to take this on after examining the Way of the Cross Toward Justice and Peace presented by the CCHD (they've removed it from their website, but you can click here to get a look at them for yourself). As Catholics, we need to be wary of the misuse of devotions, prayers, sacramentals or any element of the Church.  This Stations of the Cross is essentially a 15-page brochure for CCHD affiliate organizations, not a devotional.  I'm not encouraged by a USCCB organization degrading one of the great prayers of the Church by turning it into an advertising campaign for themselves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...