Friday, January 28, 2011

Thomas, Erica and The Ultimate End

We do not enjoy all the things that we have; and this is either because they do not afford us delight, or because they are not the ultimate goal of our desires, and so are incapable of satisfying our yearnings or affording us repose. But these three things the Blessed have in God: For they see Him, and seeing Him they hold Him ever present to them, for they have it in their power always to see Him; and holding Him, they enjoy Him, satisfying their yearnings with That Which is The Ultimate End (St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, I., xii. 7, ad 3m).

"I wrote something in the snow,” Erica said to me as I was heading to my car last night. She gave me a quick hug and a smile, then disappeared inside. On my way to my car I got to see a glimpse of her satisfaction with "That Which is The Ultimate End", written right there on the sidewalk:


Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas

Grant me, O Lord my God,
a mind to know you,
a heart to seek you,
wisdom to find you,
conduct pleasing to you,
faithful perseverance in waiting for you,
and a hope of finally embracing you.

Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...