Friday, February 19, 2010

Buy This Book!

I got it only this afternoon and I absolutely devoured it.  The Gargoyle Code by Fr. Dwight Longenecker is genius. It's written as a series of letters (think Screwtape Letters, Dracula, etc.) -- a series of pride-soaked letters written by rotten, scheming, nasty little demons to each another about the various souls they're trying desperately to corrupt. It made me laugh out loud, yet still prompted me examine my faith and the condition of my soul.  It's an excellent book for the Lenten season.

Fr. Longenecker's book opens with a letter of introduction from heaven containing a challenge to read "as you would read a mirror".  Take this bit of advice to heart when you start reading it.  I, for one, identified with many of the struggles of those poor souls targeted by Slubgrip, Dogwart, Snoot, Grimkin and the entire hellish host. I would never have thought it possible to strike a perfect balance between clever, satirical humor and sound Catholic teaching. I enjoyed the scheming, lying, boasting and backstabbing among the demons, shedding a new light upon Jesus' words in The Gospel of  Mark: "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

I've never read The Screwtape Letters, but I just may pick up a copy. I'm going to need something else to read, since The Gargoyle Code is going to be passed around to all my friends starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...