Saturday, April 25, 2009

Getting Unstuck

St. Mark the Evangelist, Pray for us.

I'm stuck in Mark. I've been reading it since December. This happens to me all the time. I start reading a book of Scripture, and I read it over and over and over again. I did this with Genesis a few years back.


I picked up a study guide to the Gospel of Mark by Ignatius Press. They're coming out with an entire study Bible (it's about time), but until they have it compiled, they have made available what's completed. There are notes, commentaries and a few questions for each chapter.

(W)hen Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "My son, your sins are forgiven." Mk 2:5

The first application question (pertaining to ch. 2:5) is this: Jesus responds to the faith of the paralytic's friends by forgiving the sick man's sins. As you reflect on your own life, how does sin tend to paralyze you spiritually? How does forgiveness of sin heal that paralysis?

What a sign for someone stuck in this Gospel.

If forgiveness of sin can give a paralyzed man the power to walk, what will it do in me, an able-bodied woman confirmed in the Spirit and desiring to walk with the Lord?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GINA, I LOVE THAT YOU POINTED OUT HOW JESUS HELPED THE PARALYTIC BECAUSE OF THE FAITH OF HIS FRIENDS. THIS ENCOURAGES MY BELIEF IN PRAYING FOR ONE ANOTHER. SOMETIMES ALL WE CAN DO FOR OUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY IS PRAY FOR THEM. HOW HOPELESS WOULD WE FEEL IF THIS WAS NOT REVEALED TO US IN SCRIPTURE?

Gina said...

It's so true---our relationship with the Lord carries over to others. I love that Jesus had so much compassion that he could see the kind of love that the paralytic's friends had, enough that they would do whatever it took to get him close to Jesus. That's powerful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...